Taylor Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 5 Nov 1995 18:08:45 EST
Further to my previous message, a highly readable account of Clemens'
meetings with the inventor Jan Szczepanik is ch. 10 ("The Austrian
Edison") of Carl Dolmetsch's _Our Famous Guest: Mark Twain in Vienna_
(Athens and London: U of Georgia Press, 1992), pp. 198-213.  As Dolmetsch
explains, Szczepanik also invented an early form of television.

In addition to a couple of photos of the weaving machine, this chapter
has some great, hitherto unpublished portions of Twain's notebook.

Taylor Roberts <[log in to unmask]>