From:
Larry Howe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 2016 19:06:05 +0000
ABE--

Thanks for the shout out.  Your point about Twain being alive to see the last time the Cubs won the WS was pointed out to me this weekend by another colleague.

It was quite a night here in Chicago.  Noisy well into the night.  On the el this morning, there were many sleepy people.  Funny, it looked the same riding on the el on Saturday night when they lost at home.  There's a lightness in the fall atmosphere for the first time in ... well, since Mark Twain walked the earth.

As a lifelong Red Sox fan, I want to give kudos to Theo Epstein who has steered two perennial losers to the top of the mountain.  He should retire and be declared GM of the century and be instantly admitted to the Hall of Fame--screw the 5 year rule.  This guy knows how to assemble a team.

This does not diminish the real achievement by the players.  The Cubs managed to overcome Maddon, who did almost everything he could to blow this one:  taking out Hendricks with plenty left in the tank; pulling Lester with 2 outs in the eighth after a seeing-eye single, which with any luck could have been the third out; and then bringing in a spent Chapman to serve up a double, a homer (the first he'd allowed in months), and a single before registering the third out.  Chapman's velocity was off in the eighth inning the night before. So why Maddon gave him the nod is beyond me. Sure, he's the closer, but overworked is overworked. If the offense hadn't rallied we would have had sportswriters waxing incessantly about Keats' "On First Looking into Chapman's Homer" (sportswriters were mostly English majors, you know).

Fortunately, the bats came through. Hats off to Montera, who had turned a close one in the NLCS into a blowout Cubs win.  He was the difference in this one too, when the Indians came within one in the extra inning.

Larry Howe
Professor of English & Film Studies
Department of Literature and Languages
Roosevelt University