From:
Kenneth Sanderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 1995 14:12:44 -0800
In _116 Short Biographies of Persons Associated with Mark Twain_
(Kirksville: Missouriana Library, Northeast Missouri State College,
cop. 1970), P. O Selby wrote that ``Mary Murial Clemens'' was the
daughter of James Ross and Katherine T. Clemens, and the sister of Cyril
Clemens.

In _Mark Twain's Kinfolks_ (1973), however, Selby reported that James
and Katherine Clemens's daughter was Muriel Agnes Clemens, who married John
Carl Gotwals; the Gotwalses' daughter was Mary Muriel Gotwals. No Mildred
Clemens is listed in _Kinfolks_, as far as I have been able to determine.

Is the book you refer to, "One hundred and Sixteen Short Biographies of
Persons Related to Mark Twain," possibly a different edition or version of
the one we have, ". . . Persons Associated with . . ."?

I have never figured out who Mildred Clemens is or was, although the Mark
Twain Papers has one or two books that once belonged to her.

Kenneth M. Sanderson
Mark Twain Project