Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 2010 21:42:56 -0400
From:
Alex Brink Effgen <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Mark Twain Forum:

We're putting the finishing touches on our little symposium celebrating
the parallel legacies of Mark Twain and Leo Tolstoy THIS WEEKEND in
Boston, Massachusetts. I am so grateful for those members on this list
presenting, and the general encouragement of the Forum. Should any of
you find yourselves near Boston this weekend and be interested in
attending let me know and I'll do my best to make the room available.
Our keynote will be awesome with a discussion on Heritage Management
between our own Patti Phillippon (from the Mark Twain House) and Galina
Alekseeva (the Head of Research at Tolstoy's Yasnaya Polyana).

Below you will find a plain text account of the panel titles and
presenters. All this for the low low registration fee of $80!! Let me
know what you think.

"The very ink with which all history is written is merely fluid prejudice."
A symposium observing the legacies of Mark Twain and Leo Tolstoy on the
centennial of their passing
Friday-Sunday, 20-22 August 2010
The Editorial Institute, 143 Bay State Road, Boston University

FRIDAY, 20 August 2010
9:00am-10:00am: Registration

10:00am-10:30am: Welcome: William Dean Howells and the "Atlantic Monthly."

10:30am-11:45am: Session 1: Between the Lines: Libraries and Marginalia.
Mallory Howard, The Mark Twain House & Museum
Galina Alekseeva, State Museum-Estate of Leo Tolstoy at Yasnaya Polyana

1:00pm-2:15pm: Session 2: Tolstoy and Twain on the Ethnic, Religious,
and Cultural Other.
Leon Kogan and Maxim D. Shrayer, Boston College
Michael Daher, Henry Ford Community College

2:30pm-3:45pm: Session 3: The Convention of Marriage: A Discussion and
Reading.
Christopher Ricks, Boston University
Katherine O'Connor, Boston University
Tim Peltason, Wellesley College
Priscilla Meyer, Wesleyan University
"The Diaries of Adam and Eve," by Mark Twain

4:00pm-4:45pm: Session 4: Mark Twain in Russia.
Brent Colley and Heather Morgan, The Mark Twain Library

6:00pm: Late Night Nickelodeon: Cinematic Adaptation.
"The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn" (in Russian--Soviet
Union: 1981)

SATURDAY, 21 August 2010
8:30am-9:00am: Registration.

9:00am-10:15am: Session 5: Actions.
Irina Ikonsky, Harvard University
Julia Pistell, The Mark Twain House & Museum

10:30am-11:45am: Session 6: Reactions.
Col. Rick McPeak, West Point
Jennifer Formicelli, Boston University

1:00pm-2:15pm: Session 7: Tolstoy, Twain, Character and Trains.
John Davis, Chowan University
Ethan Rubin, Independent Scholar

2:30pm-3:45pm: Session 8: Publishing and the Public Domain.
Sidney Berger, The Phillips Library at the Peabody Essex Museum
Albert LaFarge, Boston University

3:45pm-5:00pm: Session 9: Textual Reception.
Robert Croskey, Muhlenberg College
Michael Shelden, Indiana State University

7:00pm-8:30pm: Keynote: Two Histories of Heritage Management.
Patti Phillippon, The Mark Twain House & Museum
Galina Alekseeva, State Museum-Estate of Leo Tolstoy at Yasnaya Polyana

8:30pm: Centennial Reflection and Critical Readings.

SUNDAY, 22 August 2010
8:30am-11:00am: Breakfast.