From:
Meredith Whaley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 1995 04:26:12 -0800
I would like to discuss the positive sides of Huck Finn.  I have heard
several instructors say they would ban the book, others who suggest it is a
satire.  Ernest Hemingway said all American Lit came from this book--I would
suggest that in Huck there may have been the closest representation of the
american character published to date.  I realize there are many p.c. views
out there today but surely there must be some people who view this book in
the context of its times, who recognize how real hell was to the people of
the times and what Huck's decision regarding Jim really meant in humanistic
terms.  The vernacular he used in other books has been lauded but the use of
nigger in this book has suggested banning. And yet history and social
history would have to insist that was the common speech of the day and
certainly Twain did not defend it, he merely reported it and in Huck
presented a character of authentic heart who was willing to go to hell for
what he believed was right.  I am most interested in replies dealing
positivly with this view, supplying where possible, bibliographic support.
Of course opposing view are welcome as well.

Thank you,

Meredith S. Whaley