From:
"John D. Evans" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 18:53:51 -0400
Dear Jeff,

Perhaps the reference is to the onset of the novel where Huck goes through
an elaborate scheme to keep Pap and the Widow from ever finding him.  He
kills a pig and drags it to the river leaving a bloody trail to the river
bank.  Then he drags a torn sack of meal away from the scene leaving an easy
trail for investigators to follow.  The whole point of this exercise was to
make everyone think he'd been killed and his body thrown into the
Mississippi.

John Evans