"Harris, Susan Kumin" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 5 Dec 2016 14:56:34 +0000
In the 1980s Vic struggled to articulate his vision of "genetic criticism," a way to unpack a writer's creative process.  He took as his example Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, and in the process took on the Twain establishment of his day.  Vic won, and gave us, in 1991, Writing Huck Finn: Mark Twain's Creative Process, a book that took its place among the revolutionary works of literary and historical methodology of that decade. Throughout it all he remained the gentle, warm-hearted soul we all knew. Hats off to you, Vic!  May you rest in peace and contentment, knowing that we remember how much we owe you.  --susan harris

Susan K. Harris

From: Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, December 5, 2016 7:54 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Victor A. Doyno, 1937-2016

I first crossed paths with Vic in the early 1990s, probably at an Elmira
Conference. Others have commented on his scholarship and generosity, but I
thought the quote from a former student in his obituary captured him
perfectly--using green instead of red to correct papers so as not to hurt
feelings. Vic was afflicted by Alzheimer's for at least seven years, and as
hard as it is to hear the news of his death, I'm glad he is at peace.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive