Michael Scott Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 13:36:29 -0600
Oh, I appreciate Twain's poitical views/writings, and I do
see similarities between the imperialism Twain saw in
the late 19th century to the  conflicts the U.S. has
involved itself in the past quarter century.  Remarks
concerning how his essays relate to today's events are
not what I'm referring to; it's those that say "Twain would
side with Bush" or "Twain would be a Democrat" that I
dread seeing as I feel it's a bit beside the point.  Kind of
like saying (and,I admit, this is an exaggerated analogy)
which poitical party Jesus would belong to.

(I am in no way trying to establish a claim for the divinity
of Twain).

Mike Williams