Sender: Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 20:36:59 +0000
And thank you so much for that link, Jerry (also forwarded to me by a friend who saw your post before I did!). It brought up a point about racist terminology that's been sleeping under the more accessible issue of the "n-" word, namely, the equally - indeed more reprehensible and stealthy "N-" word (which I remember using, with some unexpressed discomfort, all during my activist days in the 50s and 60s). Chabon's nine-year-old daughter is right on the money. Don't know what she was thinking, but my take, as a 74-year old, is that "Negro" is even more offensive since it gives social acceptability and pseudoscientific vocabulary to a profoundly racist concept, and was adopted, hook, line and sinker, by the victimized themselves since it seemed to be the only respectable term available. That is, until they discovered that Black is Beautiful and has power. I remember that moment, and it was glorious! RIP Stokely, et al.

Let's never forget that "race" is a social construction and its meaning is in the mind of the beholder. Terminology is a powerful way to establish a concept, whether there is any validity to it or not.

Ben Wise