From:
"Martin D. Zehr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2012 09:35:57 -0800
I apologize- MY mistake!!!!
Martin Zehr

From: Martin D. Zehr <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: CFP RMMLA
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thursday, November 29, 2012, 11:26 AM

Jules,=A0 I've been corresponding with John Pascal about this conference, a=
nd would like to submit a proposal.=A0 Specifically, I'd like to make a pre=
sentation with a focus on a long-neglected "western" residence of Clemens, =
the house where he was born and lived the first four years of his life in F=
lorida, Missouri.=A0 The house still stands and is well preserved inside th=
e museum, about thirty miles west of Hannibal.=A0 It is certainly symbolic =
of Twain's "country" origins, not to mention the fact that most of Florida'=
s first settlers were, like the Clemens and Quarles families, form slave-ho=
lding Virginia, Tennessee and Kentucky.=A0 Also, the fact that even after m=
oving to Hannibal, Sammy spent many summers on the Florida farm of his uncl=
e, where he witnessed firsthand the life of the southern farm slave, includ=
ing Uncle Dan'l.

I realize some might not consider this one of Clemens's=A0 "western" reside=
nces, but it was certainly part of the "west" at the time Sammy lived there=
, when anything west of the Mississippi was more or less wilderness.=A0 Als=
o, I think that, aside from Twainiacs, few people are even aware of the Flo=
rida house or Florida as Clemens's birthplace.

I have a number of photos I could use to supplement such presentation and, =
since I'm on the Board of Directors of the Mark Twain Boyhood Home and Muse=
um in Hannibal, I should have ready access to the archives in Hannibal and =
Florida regarding the house and Sammy's years in and around Florida.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Martin Zehr
Kansas City