Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2011 23:46:19 -0400
>I'm looking for the letters published in the Daily Alta California from
>Mark Twain's Quaker City excursion, the source of The Innocents Abroad. Are
>they perhaps available in a single source?  Pardon my lack of researching.
>I've only done a cursory Google on this and found some excerpts.  Not being
>in any kind of hurry I though I'd inquire here first.

The University of Oklahoma Press published a book in 1958 called "Traveling
With the Innocents Abroad," which contains all 58 letters in the series. I
guess it's out of print by now, but you can probably find a copy on ebay, or
on Amazon through the "other sellers." And you might still be able to find
it at some libraries, especially university libraries. Besides containing
all the letters in one place, it's helpfully annotated, pointing out which
portions of each letter were dropped for the book and so on.

-- Bob G.

P.S. Two other excellent and related letter collections are "Mark Twain's
Letters from Hawaii" and "Mark Twain's Travels with Mr. Brown." A good
proportion of the Hawaii letters made it into "Roughing It," but he never
used the letters from the other collection in any of his books, and they're
just as good as the others.