From:
Steve Hoffman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 27 Apr 2013 10:20:45 -0400
Twain's criticisms of unrealistic action taken by
characters in James Fenimore Cooper's books does
not make him a
person-living-a-glass-house-throwing-stones when
it comes to Connecticut Yankee.  I respectfully
disagree with the comment suggest Twain was guilty
of some sort of Cooper-like "laziness" as a writer
here.

That book has its premise a completely fantastic,
make-believe time travel so of course that alone
gives the author license to incorporate fantastic,
unrealistic elements in his book.   (In fact, I've
heard tell that Connecticut Yankee is perhaps the
first "time-travel" novel.)   However, once the
reader suspends credibility as to the time-travel,
the motivations and actions of Hank Morgan (and
the description of society that he encounters) are
completely reasonable and have the ring of truth
to them.  So much so that, IMO, Connecticut Yankee
is the one they should be teaching in high
schools;  give Huck Finn the occasional rest, as
great as that book is.   There are insights
relating to society, economics, religious,
technology (both its positive and negative
ramifications) and human nature that cry out to be
heard and appreciated in today's world.  Indeed, I
would say the book is perhaps Twain's MOST
relevant work for today's world.  (Well, that and
the "War Prayer.")

In a novel, especially one that posits a magical
sort of time travel, the "actual" likelihood that
someone would know the dates of ancient solar
eclipses is quite irrelevant.  The overriding
point of the solar eclipse incident that the
"modern" man was able to use his scientific
knowledge in order to gain leverage over more
primitive folks -- not because they understood the
concept of science, but precisely because they
didn't (and therefore attributed supernatural
powers to him).

And my attitude is: why worry about whether dates
of fictional accounts in a work of fiction
corresponded exactly to the calendar date of an
actual similar event that occurred in real life.
(It might be a very minor footnote in some
annotated edition of Connecticut Yankee, but it no
way detracts from the greatest of one of Twain's
very greatest works.)

-Steve Hoffman
Takoma Park MD