Hal Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 8 Jan 2020 14:12:04 +0000
Thanks, Matt, Terry and all;  yes  I did know it was Chappelle; I was just asking others on here if they knew who it was.  The format was quite different in this version: it focused a lot more on the actual career, and routines, of the awardee.  There were not so many lengthy speeches by people who know Chappelle.  In the past it seemed more like a long string of other stand-ups/ entertainers, giving funny "roast" type speeches.  The show last night was more like a documentary look back at the winner's career and influence.  There was still some good humor by some very funny presenters; but I liked this format more, it was more informative; and would recommend the program if you missed it.

(Given the historical nature of what was happening on the world stage last night, one can be forgiven if you were instead observing all that mess...)

Dr. Hal Bush

Professor of English &

Director of the Undergraduate Program

Saint Louis University

314-977-3616

http://halbush.com

author website:  halbush.com

________________________________
From: Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of L Oggel <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 8, 2020 7:41 AM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [External] Re: tonight: Mark Twain Prize on PBS

I agree, Matt (and Dwyane). I watched the show. It was late and I didn't
have time, yet I watched the whole show. I thought it was the best in a
long time. And the Twain connections kept coming up, time and again, in
informed ways, both seriously and humorously. I didn't know much about
Chappelle. I knew he is very edgy and doesn't appeal to everyone. Sometimes
he's too much. Yet that's part of the connection. I learned more about him
from the show, hearing praise about features of his humor I hadn't
seen--about the seriousness underlying his humor and the depth of his
character as revealed in his humor. Toni Morrison was quoted, related to
what she said about *HF*. Chappelle was there, on camera as he responded to
comments about his humor (he had to hold his hands to his young daughter's
ears sometimes!). It was an instructive ceremony, at least for me, and
Chappelle an extremely appropriate recipient.

Terry Oggel