Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 09:21:57 -0500
I don't know the source in Mark Twain's work (if any), but
here is a snippet from a film Web page on the claymation
production of The Adventures of Mark Twain (1985):

Quotes:Becky Thatcher: Well, Tom and Huck and l, well, see,
we're not so sure...
Mark Twain: That l know what l'm doing up here? Angelfish,
it's just like piloting a river. You get to know the shape
of it. Like following a hall at home in the dark. And even
if you feel some fear, you know no harm can come to you
because you've traveled that hallway a hundred times in
nothing but bare feet and faith.
more

-http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088678/