From:
Kristin Minasian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2011 03:29:50 -0500
Hello Twainians,

My name is Kristin Minasian, and I am currently and undergraduate. For one of my English classes, I have chosen to research Mark Twain's early childhood.

There is a book called Mark Twain's Letters published in the 19th century, with a preface by Albert Bigelow Paine. In the first chapter, Paine writes: "No letter of [Mark Twain's] boyhood, no scrap of his earlier writing, has come to light except his penciled name, "SAM CLEMENS", laboriously inscribed on the inside of a small worn purse that once held his meager, almost non-existent wealth".

Paine goes on to describe Twain's financial hardships after his father died, and the symbolism of hope in that virtually empty purse, always at Twain's side. The description of this artifact intrigues me, as does the artifact itself.

My question for you is if you know of any such purse. I have tried to locate it but it seems there is no record of it.

Thank you so much for your time.

Best,

Kristin Minasian