From:
Beverly David <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 May 2005 14:39:19 EDT
I forgot in the last message.  Apparently the HE HAD A RAT does not exist
(Cal 03).  I saw many of the original Kemble drawings at Vassar about 20
years
ago -- they were in the Webster Collection.  I don't know if they are in
Berkeley now or not -- but the Papers certainly has copies of whatever was
at Vassar.
 The pencilings on them were Kemble's working captions -- usually directly
from the text and to tell the publishers what he was illustrating.  Your
lucky
to have anything like that.  Just thought I'd clear that up.