From:
Joseph Howse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 09:38:04 -0300
Dear Forum Members,

Reading A Tramp Abroad, I was interested to see that Twain considered the
Lion Monument in Lucerne (commemorating Louis XVI’s Swiss guards who died in
the Revolution) “the most mournful and moving piece of stone in the world”.
Having seen it myself recently, I’d have to agree.  It’s another example of
how, beneath his mordant sense of humor, Twain was deeply affected by the
tragic and the pathetic.

Thought some photos might be of interest to the group (even though Twain
said they failed to capture the Lion’s spirit).  They are at:

http://www.cs.dal.ca/~howsesw/TwainLion1.gif
http://www.cs.dal.ca/~howsesw/TwainLion2.gif

Joe Howse