From:
Lloyd J Grant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 09:54:30 -0400
Friends,

I am looking for the correct source of a piece written by Mark Twain on the
above subject.  There is a chapter in Letters From The Earth that addresses
Twains sentiments toward the French inwhich a comparison is made, but it is
not the source of the piece I was hoping to find.  In the section I would
like to cite,  Twain mentions in his closing remarks that given the choice
of close neighbors he would choose the Commanche over the Frenchmen every
time.  My copy of "LFTE" is an old one edited by Henry Nash Smith and
annotated by Bernard De Voto ( Mark Twains America, 1932).

It is apparent that Mr. Twain did not hold the French National character in
high esteem.  Is it possible that the subject of Commanches and Frenchmen
might have come up in some other writings?

I would be obliged to any and all that may be able to suggest an alternative
source.  I am reasonably certain as to the reference in regard to the choice
of neighbors, but admit also, that it has been a very long time since I read
it.

With thanks and warm regards to all;

Yours truly,
"The Janitor"