From:
Matthew Seybold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 2023 11:59:35 -0500
I wrote about Twain's specific engagement with the "Confidence Man" figure,
a specifically C19 US iteration of the trickster, for *Mark Twain Journal *some
years ago: https://www.jstor.org/stable/24612794

But the go-to has to be Jeanne Campbell Reesman's collection, *Trickster
Lives, *which includes two essays on Twain, by Sacvan Bercovitch and
Lawrence Berkove.

*Matt Seybold, PhD*
Associate Professor of American Literature & Mark Twain Studies
Scholar-in-Residence, Center for Mark Twain Studies
Editor, MarkTwainStudies.org
Host, The American Vandal Podcast
<https://marktwainstudies.com/the-american-vandal-podcast/>

Peterson Chapel Vestry, Cowles Hall