From:
Andrew Beahrs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2009 15:30:28 -0800
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone knows what the primary crop was on John
Quarles's farm.  I see one reference to tobacco fields in the
Autobiography, so I'm thinking that that was probably it (and Monroe
County was at least on the outskirts of Little Dixie, which primarily
grew corn, hemp, and tobacco, so that would make sense).  But since
Twain transplanted the farm to Arkansas as a "little one-horse cotton
plantation," I wanted to see if anyone knew for certain.

Thanks a lot,

Andrew Beahrs