From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 22:46:27 -0500
The recording that Edison made was destroyed in a fire at Edison Labs, in
1914 I think. While most of the known recordings of Twain's voice were
destroyed, a few are simply "lost." The recording that survived the longest
was in the possession of a collector in France and "lost" in WWII, so hope
springs eternal.

Amazingly, voice recordings survive of O. Henry, Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.,
Walt Whitman, and Jack London.

Oddly, some modern authors may not be recorded --at least I've never heard
any: Flannery O'Connor, Thomas Pynchon, J. D. Salinger.

On the other hand, I think anyone who has heard the recordings of T. S.
Eliot reading his own poetry will probably agree with me that voice
recordings can be disappointing and we must be careful what we wish for.

But a recording of Twain would not disappoint...

Kevin Mac Donnell
Austin TX