From:
Jim Zwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 03:49:58 -0500
In 1884, a stenographer was hired so General Grant could dictate his
memoirs. According to A. B. Paine's biography, "Webster & Co. offered to
supply [Grant] with a stenographer, and this proved a great relief."  The
stenographer's name was Noble E. Dawson.  I've known about some of
Dawson's later activities for many years but only came across that Twain
connection over the weekend.  In 1894, Dawson wrote an article about his
experiences with Grant (and Twain) for the Philadelphia Inquirer that can be
found online at:

Grant's Last Years
http://www.mscomm.com/~ulysses/page60.html

I'm sure all of you have been wondering what happened to that stenographer
after Grant finished his memoirs :-) so here's what I know about his later
years.

On November 28, 1899, Dawson was fired from his job as confidential clerk
to Gen. Nelson A. Miles in the War Dept. for sending out an official letter
that
made fun of President McKinley's tour through the western states.  From
1900 to at least 1903, he was treasurer of the Washington (D.C.) Anti-
Imperialist League and secretary of the Washington Liberty League that
succeeded it.

From 1903 through 1906, Dawson represented Rebecca J. Taylor after she
was fired from her job as a clerk at the War Dept. in May of 1902 for
publishing an article in the Washington Post that was critical of President
Roosevelt.  He handled her reinstatement case from the local appeals level
to the Supreme Court.  The December 1906 Supreme Court decision against
Taylor is online at:

http://laws.findlaw.com/us/203/461.html .

Twain was also acquainted with and corresponded with William A. Croffut
who was secretary of the Washington Anti-Imperialist League and president
of the Washington Liberty League.  Dawson's name was listed on the
organization's stationery but I don't know if Twain would have made the
connection, and they don't seem to have corresponded during those years.

Does anyone happen to know anything else about Dawson?

Jim Zwick