Sender:
From:
Sharon McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2010 21:18:55 -0800
My apologies if my response seemed vitriolic at all; that was not my intention.
It simply seems to me that Gropnick had expectations for the book that didn't
seem to come from the book itself or the claims of its editors.  Even the puff
piece in the NYT ranking its bestsellers mentions that most of the previously
unpublished material will be in the next two volumes, so it is not as though
this is hidden from the consumers whose purchases are keeping it on the list,
and the "Royal Nonesuch" comment therefore seems a little extreme.

In retrospect, though, my own comment about whether Gropnick might dislike
Faulkner is both unfounded and unnecessary.  My only excuse is that his language
about Twain's autobiography being a "disjointed and largely baffling bore" was
almost word for word what a student had recently said about _Absalom, Absalom!_
as he was trying to convince me that I should never "inflict" the novel on
students again.  Obviously, I failed on that one--though most of the other
students loved or at least appreciated the novel's artistry in the end--but I
had no grounds for projecting that response on Gropnick.

N.B.--the student who had this response is actually one of my favorites, one who
enjoys taking extreme and provocative positions for the sheer joy of it.  He
keeps class lively, always, and keeps me from being complacent or assuming that
my views are shared by all.

Sharon