Sender:
From:
Terrell Dempsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 15:40:01 -0500
I want to again remind the Forum that the Marion County Historical Society
is reprinting the History of Marion County 1884 with the valuable index
prepared by Roberta and Hurley Hagood. The book is a 6 x 9 hard cover and
contains 1096 pages of county history.  I do believe that Sam himself had a
copy of this tome (and am equally certain that if I am wrong I will hear
about it.)
    Get a jump on the coming renaissance of interest in Sam's early years by
getting your copy of this great book. It has all the charming foibles of
late 19th Century local histories, but is a fascinating look at the world of
young Sam. If you order a copy before December 1, 2002, the price is only
$65.  After that date it goes to $70.  Shipping and handling is $5.  The
money goes to a very good cause -- perpetuating real history not tourist
schlock.
    Please make checks payable to:
    Marion County Historical Society
    Box 1161
    Hannibal, Missouri 63401-1161
    or call 573-248-0243 for information.

Terrell's ellipsis-free maxim: If you don't know Sam Clemens, you really
don't know Mark Twain.
    Thanks,  Terrell Dempsey