From:
Errol Craig Sull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2006 18:24:21 EDT
I have been fortunate to teach H.F. as an only text for a semester, for
nearly ten years.  My estimate is that I've had about 1500 students in
those
classes, and of that approximately 20% have been African-American.
Interestingly, I have never had any African-American student protest reading
or  discussing
the novel because of the N word or because of the racism (let alone  refuse
to read the novel).  However, I have had 27 white students (I  decided, from
year one, to count the number of students who made a fuss over the  book
because
of the items just mentioned) -- ALL females -- raise questions or  protests
about reading the text.  They all did read it, and once into the  novel --
and
understanding how and why Twain uses the N word and racism --
enthusiastically got involved in the discussion.

I can only speak for me, of course, but I strongly believe the "secret" to
diffusing student concerns about H.F. due to the N word and the racism is in
first day talk and discussion of how the N word was used in the South in the
19th c, its evolution into why its use stirs such violent reactions today,
and  its purpose / racism's purpose in the novel.

Errol

ERROL CRAIG  SULL
Department of English
Buffalo State College