Tom Swenson <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 13 Jun 2012 15:57:11 -0400
At a terrible risk of getting hate mail, I want to share my very mixed
feelings about this tour. I have seen Mr. Holbrook most recently in Las Vegas
some five years ago. I am myself a Twain re-creator, and was at that  time
therefore anticipating see a performer who for me had reached nearly  godly,
mythical stature. I had seen him once before then, some 20 years  earlier.

I was very disappointed in the Las Vegas performance. As many other reviews
 have pointed out, Mr. Holbrook's delivery had gotten to a point where
large  sections were simply unintelligible. Mumbling, very strange inflections,
I don't  know what the intent was, but it was not clear at all. Beyond that,
the  performance was good, but not great by any measure.

Despite that, when I read of the latest tour I said--  one last  time, let
me trek to Peoria to see him. There were several reasons to go: A)  to see
if this performance might be different and B) to see if there wasn't  still
much to learn, and C) out of a deep sense of nostalgia.

Well, I guess the depths of my nostalgia are not that deep, because when I
saw I would have to pay well over $100 per ticket for nose-bleed seats --
all of  a sudden 20 other things I could do with that $250 came immediately
to mind.

A side issue for me in the entire entertainment business is the greed  of
performers at this level and the insanity of the fans to actually pay these
amounts.

I was about to say, Twain would have been outraged, but that would have to
come with a qualification -- he would be outraged if the performer wasn't
himself!

Tom

In a message dated 6/13/2012 2:42:21 P.M. Central Daylight Time,