From:
Ben Wise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2011 23:52:15 -0500
Well, in the sense that MT could hardly utter a conventionally pompous phrase in passing, such as that one, without a facetious glint in his eye, somewhere, I'm sure.  I'd guess that "White" was as much shorthand for "respectable" as it was a literal racial designation - as in, e.g.,  " that's mighty white of you."