From:
Tom Dale Keever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 1996 00:18:43 -0500
The news that Twain played might have played guitar and may have owned a fine
old Martin was very welcome to me.

Some years ago I was cast in a travelling show, "Mark Twain Stories," touring
from Boston to Texas and back.  I played Twain.  We were travelling very
light, with all our set, props, and personal baggage in one large van, and we
were each limited to how much of our own luggage we could carry.  I convinced
the director to work in a couple spots where my character played guitar,
though at that time I was convinced that Twain had never touched one, just so
that I could bring the guitar with me as a "prop."

I am very pleased to hear that I did not misrepresent Twain as badly as I
thought I did, though there is still no record that he ever got up in front
of an audience and played "The Mississippi Blues," and if he did, I doubt he
played a Yamaha.

Tom Dale Keever