Sender:
From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2011 17:53:25 -0600
Well then, by 11th grade I'd think most students would be mature enough to
deal with the language and the historical context.

At the risk of wading into deep water without my water-wings, I think I
understand younger students, black or white, who must feel uneasy about the
language. But I must confess that when I hear of high school students, black
or white, who express pain over the use of the word in this novel I am
puzzled. Given the wide use of the term among blacks (casually, as a sign of
affection, as well as insult), it's frequent use (in variant forms) in rap
lyrics and movies, its use in modern fiction, and even in comedy routines, I
don't understand why seeing it used in historical context would be
upsetting. In fact, watching Twain using it as live ammo on his deadly
assault against racism would seem to me an enjoyable experience. Yes, I do
understand why the word coming from white lips carries a power it lacks
otherwise, but Twain's use of it strips it of that power, or so it seems to me.

That said, I'll wade back to the shallows now.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive