From:
Paul Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 1995 22:46:42 -0700
Concerning Mr. Clemens's politics:

September 14, 1976 Samuel Clemens wrote to W.D. Howells:

"...It seems odd to find myself interested in an election.  I never was
before.  And I can't seem to get over my repugnance to reading or
thinking about politics, yet.  But in truth I care little about any
party's politics - the man behind it is the important thing.
I will not, and do not, believe that there is a possibility of Hayes's
defeat, but I want the victory to be sweeping ...

It seems odd to find myself interested in an election.  I never was
before.  And I can't seem to get over my repugnance to reading or
thinking about politics, yet.  But in truth I care little about any
party's politics - the man behind it is the important thing..."

Source, Twain's World CD ROM
Paul Berkowitz