From:
Steve Hoffman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 16 Oct 2010 11:12:22 -0400
You are correct, but correcting this a Quixotic task -- similar to the
notion that Shakespeare advocated "let's kill all the lawyers"  and I'm
sure there are many other examples.

Frankly, I find equally irritating that the modern American public
focuses on HF almost to the exclusion of MT's other great works.  I have
a friend who teaches high school American Studies and I've been begging
him for years to occasionally teach Connecticut Yankee instead of HF, to
no avail.  But that's a different story.

Anyway, one ought never be shocked by the ignorance of the average
American.  The scary thing isn't so much their inaccurate attribution of
literary quotations, but the fact that they all vote ;-p

-Steve Hoffman
Takoma Park MD