From:
"KEVIN J. BOCHYNSKI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 1997 12:54:29 -0400
From:   IN%"[log in to unmask]"  5-SEP-1997 12:24:57.65
To:     IN%"[log in to unmask]"  "KEVIN J. BOCHYNSKI"
CC:
Subj:   (Fwd) Overland Monthly articles and more on the Web

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 12:21:17 +0000
From: "Jim Zwick" <@@syr.edu>
Subject: (Fwd) Overland Monthly articles and more on the Web
To: "KEVIN J. BOCHYNSKI" <[log in to unmask]>
Comments: Authenticated sender is <@>

Dear Kevin,

I sent this message to the Forum on Sept. 2 but haven't seen it come
through.  I'm not sure if that means it wasn't distributed or if the
problem is at my end (I have received other recent posts).  If you
also did not receive it, would you please forward it to the list for
me?  Thanks.

Jim Zwick

It seems I've come across dozens of new Twain items on the
Web in the last couple of weeks.  Here are some of the highlights:

1.  The University of Michigan's Making of America site
(http://www.umdl.umich.edu/moa/) includes page images of  the
articles Twain contributed to the Overland Monthly while preparing
_The Innocents Abroad_ and an 1898 article by Theodore de Laguna
on "Mark Twain as Prospective Classic."  They are at:

By Rail Through France (July 1868)
http://www.umdl.umich.edu/cgi-bin/moa/viewitem.stable/mm000051/1353over/v0001/i001/00140018.tif?config=moa&frame=noframe&userID=NoUserID&dpi=4

A Californian Abroad: A Few Parisian Sights (Aug. 1868)
http://www.umdl.umich.edu/cgi-bin/moa/viewitem.stable/mm000051/1353over/v0001/i002/01160120.tif?config=moa&frame=noframe&userID=NoUserID&dpi=4

A Californian Abroad: Three Italian Cities (Sept. 1868)
http://www.umdl.umich.edu/cgi-bin/moa/viewitem.stable/mm000051/1353over/v0001/i003/02050209.tif?config=moa&frame=noframe&userID=NoUserID&dpi=4

A Californian Abroad: A Mediaeval Romance (Oct. 1868)
http://www.umdl.umich.edu/cgi-bin/moa/viewitem.stable/mm000051/1353over/v0001/i004/03120316.tif?config=moa&frame=noframe&userID=NoUserID&dpi=4

Mark Twain as Prospective Classic, by Theodore de Laguna (April 1898)
http://www.umdl.umich.edu/cgi-bin/moa/viewitem.stable/mm000083/1398over/v0031/i184/03740364.tif?config=moa&frame=noframe&userID=NoUserID&dpi=4

2.  California As I Saw It: First-Person Narratives of California's Early
Years, 1849-1900, at the Library of Congress American Memory Project
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/cbhtml/cbhome.html
This site includes:

_Roughing It_ (full text and most illustrations)
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/calbk:@field(DOCID+@lit(197T00)):@@@$REF$

Gold and Sunshine, by James J. Ayres, chapter 22 on Twain's trip
to Hawaii
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/calbk:@field(DOCID+@lit(006D0022)):

Pioneer Journalism in California, by Samuel C. Upham
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/calbk:@field(DOCID+@lit(149D0026)):

Six Years' Experience as a Book Agent in California, by  Mrs. J. W. Likins,
chapter 11 on her experience selling _Roughing It_ in San Francisco
and Santa Clara County (she sells other Twain books in other
chapters)
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/calbk:@field(DOCID+@lit(143D0011)):

Don't be fooled by the title of this collection.  Many of the authors of
the books included also spent time in Nevada, Hawaii (Sandwich
Islands), and elsewhere so it can be used as a more general
resource on the West of that era.

3.  The Modern English Collection at the Electronic Text Center,
University of Virginia
http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/modeng/modeng0.browse.html

A number of Twain texts have been added since I last checked
this archive, including "Sociable Jimmy," Paul Fatout's composite text of
the "Sandwich Islands" lecture, and more (thanks to Stephen Railton for
producing most if not all the new texts).  Also of interest here:

A New England Literary Colony, by By E. Sherman Echols,
_Munsey's Magazine_ (Sept. 1895), on Nook Farm
http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/etcbin/browse-mixed-new?id=EchNewe&tag=public&images=images/modeng&data=/texts/english/modeng/parsed

4.  I'm working on a series about Twain's trip to Hawaii at my own
site and have put quite a few related texts online there as well,
including the five Hawaiian sketches from _The Jumping Frog of
Calaveras County_, the letters home included in Paine's edition
of the letters, the 1873 letters to the New York Tribune, the chapters
from Paine's biography, and some others.  The only major writings
I know of that are not available on the Web are the notebooks (they're
not in the public domain).  A directory of Twain's writings and lectures
on Hawaii, biographical and critical accounts, and some pages
about related places and issues (Hawaiian sovereignty, etc) is
available at:
http://marktwain.miningco.com/library/texts/bl_hawaiiweb.htm

5.  Banned Books Week at the American Library Association.  Its
Challenged and Banned Books page lists Huckleberry Finn and
Mark Twain among the ten most frequently challenged books and
authors of 1996
http://www.ala.org/bbooks/challeng.html

Jim Zwick