From:
Peter Salwen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2013 16:21:51 -0400
Hi, Susan. Sounds like a wonderful project!

I thought you might be interested in the following -- a note I sent around
last fall about a local (NYC) Twain-related event.

Last November's talk wasn't directly on point for you, but Strathcarron
also mentioned that he was planning a similar cruise & book on Twain's
1895-96 travels -- which does sound like something you may want to look
into.

  -- Pete

_________________________

Re: Something special for Mark Twain fans:

Ian Macpherson, Lord Strathcarron, author of "Innocence and War: Mark
Twain's Holy Land Revisitd" will give a lecture and book signing Nov. 15at
the English-Speaking Union of New York, 144 East 39th Street. (Details at
http://www.esuus.org/newyork/news/lord_strathcarron_innocence_and/)

As you likely know, Mark Twain’s travels through the Middle East as a
tourist aboard the luxury cruiser Quaker City in 1867 provided the fodder
for *The Innocents Abroad,* his first best-seller. In 2010 Lord
Strathcarron, a British travel writer, yachtsman and journalist who spent
ten years in Asia working for Time-Life and as a freelance foreign
correspondent, retraced Twain's original route through what is now Lebanon,
Syria, Israel and the West Bank/Palestine on his sailing yacht *Vasco da
Gama*.

*Innocence and War,* the first volume of Strathcarron's Mark Twain travel
trilogy (www.twaintraveler.com), reports on how the region has (and hasn’t)
changed over the intervening 143 years. His talk will be enriched with
maps, photographs and excerpts from both writers’ books, which share a
humorously sardonic view of "the unholy mess that is the Holy Land."
Reservations by phone (212-818-1200 ext. 244) or email ([log in to unmask]).

The English-Speaking Union is a non-profit educational organization focused
on English language and culture, headquartered in New York City, with 70
branches throughout the United States and ESU offices in 55 countries.
 *_________________________________*
*
*
*Peter Salwen*