From:
Gregg Camfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2011 13:56:00 -0700
Yes, in _Tramp Abroad_, specifically in the "Blue-Jay Yarn."  "Of course that knocked the mystery galley-west in a second."  "Askew" and "awry" don't really work in this context, do they?  Nor do they really work in _LOM_, in which Twain has a pilot, Uncle Mumford, deride efforts to "tame" the lower Mississippi: "They have started in here with big confidence, and the best intentions in the world; but they are going to get left.  What does Ecclesiastes vii.  13 say? Says enough to knock THEIR little game galley-west, don't it?"

(Ecc 7:13 Consider what God has done:
   Who can straighten
   what he has made crooked? )

Here, too, the word seems to mean "destroy" or "end" or something to that effect.  Does this cast doubt on Merriam's definition and etymology?

As for the OED listing 1883 as the first use, _Tramp Abroad_ (1880), knocks that date galley-west, too.  Last time I checked, the OED doesn't even list the use of "brat" as slang for "bastard," either, and Leontes' use of the term in _The Winter's Tale_ and Anne Bradstreet's use of the term in "The Author to Her Book" show that at least some writers used the term that way.  Dictionaries to me are addictive drugs that too often give bad trips.  Or maybe, because they too often trip me up, I want to avenge myself by tripping them up.

And that is why I would never want to become a lexicographer, even to illuminate Mark Twain.

Gregg (busily avoiding work) Camfield