From:
John Bird <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 May 1996 14:13:26 +0000
Like John W. Young, I was disappointed by the new Random House _Huckleberry
Finn_.  Specifically the textual apparatus was not what I was expecting.  I
just can't see spending $25 on an edition of HF just to get 35 pages or so
of
"selected" changes from the first half manuscript.  What I saw was
fascinating, but as I say, not worth the money to me.  So I guess I'll read
it
in the library and wait for either a paperback version or--better--a
scholarly
edition, with all changes, deletions, etc.  Just my opinion, of course, and
maybe I'll like it better once I examine it more closely.  I walked into the
bookstore yesterday with the money burning a hole in my pocket, but I walked
out without it.