Sender: Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 20:38:35 -0600
From: Rick Talbot <[log in to unmask]>
I am a Mark Twain Scholar and I can prove it. In August of 2009, I stood on
the porch of Quarry farm and listened to a tour guide finishing up her
welcoming remarks. She concluded, "And as you can see there are no parking
lots or paved roads to the farm because Quarry farm is not open to the
public."

I was standing in the middle of a group of twenty or so and puzzled, I
asked, "If it's not open to the public what are we all doing here."

She folded her hands before her and tipping her head said, "You are not the
public. You are all Mark Twain Scholars."

The new Bowdlerized version of HF has certainly stirred up the forum. We
have heard from every quarter but one; Twain himself. As a scholar I feel
certain of what Twain would say about any author or editor that changed his
words, let alone his punctuation. He would be outraged and say of that
person: "If I had his lunch in steel trap I would shut out all human succor
and watch that trap till he got hungry."

Yes, I feel quite confident in quoting Twain this way.

Richard Talbot
Mark Twain Scholar