From:
Richard Talbot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Sep 2009 16:21:05 -0500
Thank goodness, Kevin weighed in.

Kevin, friend, apologies. Indeed I did lift my "facts" from your 1998
article and I inflated your numbers given by 20%. That's how I came up with
my numbers.

Be that as it may, I studiously ignore the value of my AHF each time I don
surgical gloves to give it a good read. It was after all, the (are you
ready?) collecting of the book, that lead to the reading of the book that
lead to the researching of the volume that lead to Firsts magazine that lead
to Albert Bigelow Paine that led to Merle Johnson, to BAL, to Rasmussen to
Hirst and to the Mark Twain Forum culminating in me jumping on a jet and
flying to Elmira(!) where I met up with all of you.

One last word; my rare old volume of AHF will one day pass away, its worth
is limited. But of unyielding value to me are the memories I made in Elmira;
the kindness, warmth and genuine friendship of people I hardly knew yet were
so good to me, the scholarly presentations they brought, the conversations
on the veranda at break time, the food as good as anything that could be
conjured up on Quarles' farm and the cigars that got smoked under the stars
at Quarry farm; the quiet time I stole for myself to stand alone on the site
of the Octagon and then to descend the hill only to run into Hal Holbrook
standing alone behind the kitchen; and the laughter-the unabated, liquid,
lasting laughter that we shared--- these things defy appraisal, are rare and
precious beyond counting. My dear old volume of AHF would gladly be tossed
aside by me for one more day in that warm summer sun of Elmira in the
company of all of you.

Yours

Rick Talbot

"Mark Twain Scholar"