From:
Doc Benway <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 1994 19:28:22 -0500
The discussion on homosexuality in regards to Whitman and Wilde is
interesting. Another good aspect is Allen Ginsberg's censorship trial in
SF back in the 50s. Actually, it was Lawrence Ferlinghetti who was on
trial, because it was his City Lights Bookshop which published the first
edition of Ginsberg's _Howl_. I just completed a graduate paper on
Whitman's influence on Ginsberg, and it is my belief that the censorship
trial underscored an attack on Ginsberg's sexual orientation and his
expression thereof. Ginsberg's colleague and friend William S. Burroughs
was also brought to court under a "censorship" case.

Any musings?

Jon Sanders
University of Missouri