From:
Wesley Britton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 23:26:15 -0400
I just caught a repeat airing of the new Sci-Fi channel original movie,
*Riverworld*, a greatly condensed adaptation of the first two *Riverworld*
novels by Philip Jose Farmer. In the second novel, Sam Clemens was a
principal character battling King John on a world where every human that's
ever lived mysteriously appears along a seemingly endless river. In that
book, Sam built a riverboat later stolen by King John.

In the new movie, Sam builds his boat and battles Roman emperor Nero to keep
it. Along the way, a few clues about his identity are dropped, but most
viewers wouldn't know this cynical Sam is Mark Twain until the last five
minutes when Clemens reveals he doesn't want anyone to know who he is. He
was happiest in his first earth life, he tells a comrade in arms, when he
was just Sam. All he wants to do is pilot the boat and have adventures. In
the final moments, it's clear a sequel is hoped for.

This movie was first broadcast about two weeks ago and I don't know if
tonight's airing was the last. I didn't catch who played Sam or any of the
other roles. But perhaps some folks taped it for those who missed it . . .

Wes Britton