From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2015 18:06:04 -0600
Both of your responses indicate you have made some incorrect assumptions
about exactly what I say and don't say in my article. The evidence is
circumstantial, but consistent and non-contradictory, and from multiple
sources. The meaning of "Mark Twain" is exactly what everyone has thought
(two fathoms, meaning safe or dangerous water depending on whether you are
entering or leaving that depth). But where he got the idea for the nom de
plume is NOT what had been traditionally supposed. The bar tab story (with
an entirely different meaning) is based on patently false newspaper accounts
by people who did not know or ever meet Twain. Twain's own account
attributing it to Capt Sellers was long ago proven false on two counts, and
subsequent research has continued to confirm this. My account is based on a
body of facts and a logical application of those facts --the fact the name
was in print in VF in 1861, that VF was available in Virginia City in places
where Twain would have had to shut his eyes tight to avoiding seeing it in
1862-3, the role of the exchange system, Twain's familiarity with pieces by
Ward that appeared in VF, Twain's efforts to distance himself from Ward and
the Phunny Phellows being the motivation to hide VF as the source of his nom
de plume, Twain's need for a nom de plume at that point in time to brand his
writings in the exchange system, his propensity for self-mythologizing, etc.

I'll resist commenting on your refusal to read anything that challenges what
you think you know, but should warn you that I've written quite a bit lately
that upsets some apple-carts: Charlie Webster killed himself I'm sorry to
report, one of Twain's hoaxes has been misunderstood for 160 years, and in a
few weeks the next MTJ will appear and reveal indisputable proof of Sam
Clemens' first real girlfriend (no, it ain't Laura Hawkins or Laura Wright).
At the moment I'm writing up the story of a crime spree involving a dead
teenage who was inspired by HUCK FINN-- and Twain's reaction to it. And I
have a pile of two dozen articles in various stages of neglect that either
deconstruct or amplify our knowledge of Mark Twain. But if you don't like
reading anything that challenges what we all thought we knew about Mark
Twain, then for goodness sake, don't read them!

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive