From:
Mark Coburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 1997 11:53:21 -0700
I'm researching a book that might even get written in my lifetime.  Its
focal point will be Twain's visit to an army reunion in Chicago,
November, 1879--when he delivered his "Babies" speech.  In the months
(decades?) ahead I'll probably be begging Twain Forum members for all
kinds of help.  This is for starters:

"H.M.S. Pinafore" was the big hit of that year, and became a national
craze in the U.S.  Twain's letters to Livy from Chicago rave about a
performance he saw.  I also know one much later ref. to G & S:  At the
town meeting in "Hadleyburg," the crowd starts singing taunts to a tune
from "The Mikado."

What other links can you think of betwen Twain and G & S?  Good quotes
would be nice (even Twain’s use of the lines everyone was using: "What,
never?" "His sisters and his cousins and his aunts," etc); but even
better would be letters or writings in which Clemens actually DISCUSSES
Gilbert and/or Sullivan or anything pertaining to them or to the
operettas.

I know there's a Gilbert and Sullivan home page; I'll make a similar
request to them.  Beyond that, are there any books, periodicals or
Internet resources where you would advice me to sleuth?

Thanks in advance to all,

Mark Coburn