From:
Ron Hohenhaus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2013 14:55:10 +1000
(Apologies for my previous porridge. Martin Zehr has kindly responded to one
of my questions already. He advises that the description of the "coyote" as
an "allegory of want" is from "Roughing It".  And that Shelley Fisher
Fishkin included Twain's description in her edited book, "Mark Twain and His
Animals". I hope the following makes a little more sense. -- RH)

********

Isn't it great to see the name 'Artemus Ward' again being linked with SLC.

Kevin Mac Donnell's research on the pseudonym is such an attractive piece of
analysis, I hope hundreds subscribe to MTJ just to read his complete
argument. Personally, I've always felt that any reading of Ward brought me a
little closer to Twain, particularly his Comstock years. And I have Larry
Berkove to thank for that (and more).

A somewhat related question -- does anyone know the full name of H.W.
Bergen, Twain's agent in the 1870s? I have the complete name (somewhere) for
Ward's agent, E.P. Hingston (an Australian BTW), but Bergen's full name
seems elusive for some odd reason. A bigger question:  when did this
tradition of using initials originate for managers and agents? Can we blame
Phineas T. Barnum? Or does it go back further?

I was recently told that the late 20th century animator Chuck Jones, creator
of Wile E. Coyote, attributed inspiration for his hit cartoon character to a
chapter of "Roughing It". Don't remember anything about a Coyote in
"Roughing It", will have to  re-read it.

Ron Hohenhaus
Brisbane, Australia