From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Oct 2017 10:20:50 -0500
I was happy to see John Bird get the recognition that he got, but it wasn't
the recognition that he deserved. There was no mention that he wrote a far
superior ending to the story consistent with Twain's plot, characters, and
themes. There was no mention of exactly how Random House/Doubleday co-opted
(a much politer word than they deserve) the project in a mad scramble to
exploit Mark Twain's name and foist off on an unsuspecting public a work by
the Steads. I have no problem with the Steads; they were just following
orders. But did anybody give them orders to toss Twain's themes out the
window and pretend that making Johnny black was the only change they made
that matters? I must also admit, sadly, that I'm disappointed by those who
are willing to profit by all of this. Those who object are dismissed as
"purists"--the word actually used in the report. This brings me back to the
conclusion of my review: some readers will find the story charming, but it
isn't Mark Twain doing the charming. Using Twain's name to sell this book is
execrable (to borrow a favorite word of Twain's).

Twainians are grateful that Twain did not follow the custom of so many
authors and destroy his unpublished manuscripts, but if you have ever
wondered why so many authors do so, you need look no further than this
vulgar breach of literary ethics. This is not a Twain't; it's just a twaint.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive