From:
Benjamin Griffin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2024 18:34:46 -0800
What Barb said!

I'll add that the forthcoming Mark Twain Project edition of *Pudd'nhead
Wilson* (April 30, 2024) contains detailed discussion of publishers' and
printers' changes to Clemens's spelling. But the executive summary is:
printers were generally expected to impose house style and "correct" and
regularize spelling. So, even for the first printings -- and even for the
books Clemens published himself (as Charles L. Webster and Co.) -- the
spelling (and punctuation, and paragraphing) can't be assumed to be his.

When Clemens read proofs, he aimed to undo editorial/compositorial changes.
And he wrote very colorful letters to the publishers on the subject, making
it very clear that he had been a professional printer himself, and he
wanted the details of his inscription respected! But, with limited time and
energy, he settled for what he could live with; or less. Sometimes (e.g.
*Pudd'nhead* and* Following the Equator*) he didn't even get to read proof
and comment on the publishers' orthography.

Ben Griffin
Mark Twain Project