From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2013 16:58:07 -0500
Paine met Twain when researching Nast's biography, and the story goes that
Twain chose Paine as his own biographer on the basis of seeing Paine's work
on Nast. I have the copy of Paine's Nast bio inscribed by Paine to Twain in
Dec 1905 with a few notes by Twain, and a letter laid from some stranger
sending Twain a drawing by Nast (the drawing is long gone).  I think Twain
suggested Nast as illustrator of THE GILDED AGE but Bliss declined. I have
Nast's inscribed copy of THE INNOCENTS ABROAD.

I assume they smoked hasheesh together and that is actually Thomas Nast
handing Clara her hat in the film.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books