From:
Mac Donnell Rare Books <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 2020 15:04:23 +0000
Good Golly! I hope you flip it back!

In Twain studies, altering historical materials for visual appeal dates
back at least as far as Paine's biography which has a photo of twain
cabins with Twain's written note below. To fit Twain's note into the
space on that page (I:20) they rearranged it and reshot the "cut &
pasted" image for the book.

I'd have to go look to be certain, but I think one of the images in
Henderson's 1910 (yes, 1910; not 1911 or 1912) book on Twain also has a
flipped image.

Historical facts really do matter when it comes to a slippery
self-mythologizing fellow like Mark Twain.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive