From:
Ronald Racilis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 13:03:41 -0800
Steve,

I think the historical context of the word "nigger" may make it less of an
appropriate word to use in a white American classroom context than would
"W" or "Honkey. In other words, the terms "honkey" or "W" are not
laden with images of slavery, disenfranchisement, lynching, Jim Crow
laws, etc. I'm not trying to defend use of one text over another, but
merely pointing out an issue that's often overlooked when discussing
the appropriateness of Twain's or Angelou's works.

Ron Racilis
Arcata, California