From:
Cliff Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Oct 1997 18:08:44 -0700
> ...I saw an advertisement for a biography of Josh Norton,
> _The Remarkable Story of Norton I_.... The ad goes on
> to claim that Norton is the model for the king in Huck
> Finn.  I had never heard of him.

I owned a copy of a biography of Norton I (title forgotten) that was
confiscated in 1987. If the book to which you refer is newer than that,
then there exist at least two biographies of Norton I. It wouldn't surprise
me if Norton had attracted the attention of Twain; read on:

Robert Anton Wilson has a full-page panel, "Emperor Norton: Live like
him!," in his book "Right Where You Are Sitting Now" which was published by
And/Or Press (Berkeley: 1982) and (I believe) is more recently published by
Falcon Press (Phoenix).

Excuse any typos, but Wilson says:

[begin Wilson segment]

EMPEROR NORTON: LIVE LIKE HIM

Joshua Norton, or as he preferred to be called, Norton I, proclaimed
himself Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico in 1859.

Although a pauper, he was fed free in San Francisco's best restaurants.

Although a madman, he had all his state proclamations published in San
Francisco's newspapers.

While rational reformers elsewhere failed to crack the national bank
monopoly with alternate currency plans, Norton I had his own private
currency accepted throughout San Francisco.

When the Vigilantes decided to have a pogrom against the Chinese, and sane
men would have tried to stop them, Norton I did nothing but stand in the
street, head bowed, praying. The Vigilantes dispersed.

"When the proper man does nothing (wu-wei), his thought is felt ten
thousand miles."
-- Lao Tse

Although a fool, Norton I wrote letters which were seriously considered by
Abraham Lincoln and Queen Victoria.

"You must take the bull by the tail and look the facts in the face."
-- W.C. Fields

Although a charlatan, Norton I was so beloved that 30,000 people turned out
for his funeral in 1880.

"Everybody understands Mickey mouse. Few understand Hermann Hesse. Hardly
anybody understands Einstein. And nobody understands Emperor Norton."
-- Malaclypse the younger, K.S.C.

[end of Wilson segment]

Cliff Walker, editor
The Critical Thinker