Sharon McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 29 Jan 2015 14:46:30 +0000
Reagan was a football announcer?  That one passed me by.

One thing that needs to be kept in mind, though is that flatboats and rafts were different things.  Now that I've read the biographical sketches, it is clear that Lincoln's trips were on flatboats, or what Huck calls "trading scows," (Chs. 16 and 19), while Huck and Jim clearly have a piece of raft.

A website called "The Steamboat Times" does a good job, so far as I understand the history of river traffic, of explaining the difference, using sources and drawings from the era for each, along with photographs (some of which are pretty harrowing!) -- including the stories of Lincoln's trips.  The entry on flatboats actually cites Huck's reference to a "trading scow" in Life on the Mississippi (Ch. 3).  I'd forgotten it was included there.

Anyway, here are two links that are short enough (I hope) to avoid the equal signs that I know will plague the rest of this post.

http://steamboattimes.com/flatboats.html
http://steamboattimes.com/rafts.html

Fascinating stuff.

Cheers,
Sharon
From: Mark Twain Forum [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Lawrence Howe [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2015 8:59 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Connection between Twain and Lincoln

Hal--=0A=
=0A=
You may be right that "pretty much everyone knew about Lincoln's raft trips=
," but all of the examples you list are presidents whose campaigns were in =
the era of modern media saturation.  Campaigns in the nineteenth century do=
n't really compare with those we experience now.  And even given that, I'm =
not sure "everyone knows" that Reagan was a football announcer; it's true t=
hat he was, but I suspect that people are more familiar with his early care=
er as a radio broadcaster recreating Cubs games from ticker-tape accounts. =
=0A=
=0A=
Is there evidence of how common the knowledge of AL's raft trips was?  =0A=
=0A=
Best, =0A=
=0A=
--LH =0A=
Larry Howe=0A=
Professor of English=0A=
Chair, Department of Literature and Languages=0A=
Roosevelt University=0A=
=0A=
Fulbright Distinguished Chair in American Studies, Syddansk Universitet--Od=
ense, 2014-15=0A=