Sender: Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
From: RWDTwain <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 19:07:06 EST
Dear Forum members:

Thanks to all those who were helpful in my search for the text.

I contacted the Univ. of Hartford web site as well.  Prof. Ingrid Russell
provided the correct URL and I finally retrieved the speech.  I've shared
it with Barb Schmidt via a private e-mail. (P.S. Barb, still no luck on
the bicycle photo.  Thought maybe John Selye's book might have one
but came up emptyhanded)

But the thought also occurred to me that other Forum members might
appreciate what Hal had to say.  It's a heartfelt, thoughtful criticism of
where the technological revolution might be leading us.  I believe _The
Charlotte Observer_ will publish it in this Tuesday's edition, just in time
for Hal's sold-out performance here Tuesday night.

As if Twain himself didn't provide enough endlessly fascinating topics
for discussion, here's one from a man who writes and thinks as well
as he acts.  (Pardon my editorializing.)

The URL is :  http://www.hartford.edu/commencearchive/speech.html   OR
go to the University web page at http://www.hartford.edu and click on
the News and Events link, then click on the "Text of commencement
address" link.  The page has the 1997 address and a link to Holbrook's
speech at the bottom of the page.

Best regards to all,

Roger Durrett